Measure and analyze your website audience with MatomoFabian Piau | Saturday February 22nd, 2014 - 09:47 AM
Piwik is the previous name of Matomo. It is possible to find references to the old name in this article. The software was renamed early 2018. To learn more and know the reason, you can read this post on the official blog.
Matomo is an open-source tool to analyze the activity and traffic of your website.
Matomo is written in PHP, therefore it runs on a PHP server and requires a MySQL database to run. To learn more about the minimum required versions, you can read the Matomo requirements page.
Matomo is available with a list of plugins out-of-the-box. You’ll find the usual features for this kind of tool:
- Customizable dashboard (widgets)
- Data aggregation over a period
- Number of visits, duration of visits, details on downloads
- Information on visitor systems (operating system, browser)
- Geographic (country) and technical (Internet Service Provider) information
- Personalized email reporting
It is also possible to add plugins to use more specific features, such as connecting to Matomo using an LDAP directory. You can consult the list of plugins for more information.
As a demonstration is worth a thousand words, the Matomo team provides a sandbox environment to play with the software. Don’t hesitate to check it out.
It really doesn’t take more than 5 minutes to install Matomo on your server:
- Upload the Matomo files on your server, for example in a root directory called “matomo”.
- With your browser, go on “YOUR_WEBSITE_URL/piwik/” to start the graphical installer. Matomo will check that your software configuration is valid, will create all the tables in the database…
Benefits of Matomo
There are many existing solutions for auditing websites. Among the best known, Google Web Analytics works on all websites. For WordPress blogs, the Stats feature of the Jetpack plugin is also very interesting.
The big advantage of Matomo is that you have the control of your data as it is stored locally in your database and is not sent to the Cloud.
In addition, the tool has advanced features and an active community. For example, you will find a mobile application for Android and iPhone.